Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Nest Series, oil on canvas
©2008, Helen Read 


In honor of Mother's Day, I'm reposting this series - which is in a private collection.
I painted this showing the progression of my experience as a mother - a full nest, which was just wonderful!  I have three great kids ... I couldn't have been blessed with more wonderful kids, either. 
I loved each day being a mom with a full nest! 
And then... they began to fly from the nest.
They left behind a reminders of themselves - and now all three are flying (mostly) on their own.
Its a difficult transition in some ways... and yet, its what we raise them to be - productive, independent adults who are contributing to their world in unique and valuable ways.
Of course, they do come back to visit - they do keep in touch - we continue to have a wonderful relationship over a huge stretch of miles .... and yet, sometimes the nest feels quite empty.

So, when the nest feels empty - I try to remember that they are following their callings.  They are doing well.  They are using their unique gifts.  They are having a positive influence in the world. 
And that was the goal.

No comments: